Tag Archives: embroidery on hats

Embroidery project on fleece hats…the perfect party favor for a skating party

Tonight at 5:00 I was frantically running into an Old Navy in a neighborhood I don’t often frequent to purchase a girl’s fleece hat that was on clearance for $1.99. You see, a few days ago I bought out all of the same fleece hats at my local Old Navy to personalize and give away as party favors at my daughter’s 9th birthday party and realized only a few hours before the party that I had forgotten one kid.

Fortunately, embroidering on fleece is pretty dreamy and with my new discovery of sticky-back stabilizer, embroidering names on 15 hats went rather quickly. In short, I used a regular needle, sticky-back stabilizer and sulky on top and got great results.

One thing unique that I did was I searched the Internet for fonts and found one reminiscent of the old Frosty the Snowman titling. I installed it on my computer and then was able to render out text with this typefaces an embroidery file.

I considered digitizing some snowflakes to embroider on the hat but since the ones I found already had a pattern on them, I opted to just embroider named.

The girls loves the hats. In fact my two crazy girls are sleeping in them right now. And the rest of the girls seed to be generally enthused about the hats as well.

2013-01-17 20.43.28

2013-01-19 09.34.10

2013-01-18 20.09.55

2013-01-18 20.10.39

Embroidering on Knit Hats – Not as bad as I thought it would be

20130102-125554.jpg

20130102-125626.jpgFor my daughter’s sixth birthday I was looking for a descent party favor. I absolutely hate it when my kids go to parties and come home with the requisite bag of crap that I have to eventually sneak into the trash can. So I wanted to make something for the kids that might not be pitched.

Trolling around Target the night before the party – I found knit hats that were on clearance for $1 each. I bought 15 and immediately started to regret my decision.

Embroidering on stretchy fabrics is NOT my forte. So I sought advise from the book “Embroidering on Difficult Fabrics” which recommends for knits using an iron on stabilizer on the back of the fabric and a sulky on the top. I actually hooped all three layers together using my smallest embroidery hoop, and I achieved great results. No puckering, great density of stitches, really quick and easy.

I was not adventurous on the typeface I used for the single initial – but this project gave me confidence to try embroidering on other knit fabrics