Last summer’s MEGA embroidery project: my daughter’s duvet cover

By on July 13th, 2013
This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
Fun duvet cover

A couple of summers ago, we redid my daughter’s room. Once fall came around and she needed warmer bedding, it became apparent that she needed a new duvet cover for her down comforter to match the new colors in her room.

Inspiration struck on a visit to Savannah, Georgia when I discovered this cute little fabric store, Fabrika. During my visit I purchased some fabric called “Forest Life” by Michael Miller. The fabric is whimsical and retro a while incorporating the new colors of my daughter’s room. While I was there, I also purchased some solid colored and printed cotton fabric and colors that matched the print.

All of this fabric sat in my sewing room for a year before I got motivated to do anything with it. Finally I decided to make the duvet cover in a patchwork style which meant cutting out 64 –  17″ x 17″ squares.  Here’s what I learned about cutting out a lot of squares… It takes a really long time! I have a newfound respect for you quilters.

I wanted to add something to the solid colored squares so I started digitizing elements I saw in the prints and I stitched them out in different ways according to the color of the fabric.  On the lavender squares I stitched out words representing some of my daughter’s favorite things.  Some of the embroidery turned out great – some of it not so great – but it provided great digitizing and embroidery experience.

The girls had fun laying out the squares while I stitched them together.

I finally finished the project at the end of last summer and Ilse used it all winter.  Of course I look at it and see all the imperfections but fortunately she thinks it is fantastic.

Laying out the duvet cover

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *