The problem with this design was that I didn’t digitize it very strategically. The order in which items were stitched out and the starting points for stitching of each piece were completely random. There was a connector string between each of the thirty-six elements in the wreath – for God’s sake! This made for tons of clipping tiny connector strings. Very time consuming!
This week I finally got around to making some edits to the file. Now the order of stitching is much more strategic, hiding most of the connector strings under runs of satin stitching. To be sure – I stitched out the revised design, and oh-my-Lord what a difference it makes!
Now that I’m feeling good about this design, I listed it in two sizes on my Etsy store so that you all can enjoy it as well. I can envision this design being stitched out in bright colors around the hem of a black skirt and looking super cute. (If you give this a try – I would love to see a picture. hint, hint) My plan for this design is to use it as a decorative element on the bottom of a skirt – but in a solid color that will bring out a color in the skirt fabric. I actually have a pretty solid plan in mind… but I will save the reveal for a future post. (I know, I know… you can hardly stand it. ha)
Obviously for her birthday I needed to make her a skirt like mine, but I was out of town all weekend and had a super busy day on Monday. But, believe it or not, this whole project came together before her birthday gathering on Monday night. To make this happen, my first stop was the clearance rack at Old Navy where I found some great gray pencil skirts made out of thick cotton jersey. These skirts were begging to be embroidered. (Actually now that I think about it I need to go back and get some more.)
Like the skirt I made for myself, I planned to stitch out three instances of the flower – two smaller ones and one larger one. But instead of making all the flowers the same, I rotated the colors and I think I might like her skirt a little better. I was able to plan the placement of the flowers by drawing circles in corresponding sizes on the front of the skirt with a washable marking pen.
Julie went bananas when she saw her new skirt. I think like I hit a home run.