Like any discipline, machine embroidery has a bit of learning curve. So, learning a few machine embroidery tips and how-tos can help you avoid some of the pains of learning the hard way.
So, what types of tips and tricks am I talking about here? There are tips associated with almost every aspect of machine embroidery, from how to operate your machine to how to download embroidery files and get them loaded on your embroidery machine, or even how to embroider on a wide array of materials. Here’s what I mean.
Understanding and working with embroidery files
- What are embroidery file formats?
- How to get an embroidery design on an embroidery machine?
- Is there a free embroidery file format converter?
- What is stitch density in machine embroidery?
- How to organize machine embroidery designs
- What are BX fonts for machine embroidery?
- How to covert a TTF font into embroidery
- How to set up a monogram for machine embroidery
Embroidering on Difficult Materials
Some materials are more difficult than others to embroider on, but knowing a little trick here or there can make all the difference. The following posts demonstrate how to embroider a wide array of fabrics and even non-fabrics.
- Swimsuit (Lycra material)
- Terry cloth (towels)
- Quilted down (puffy coat)
- Toilet paper
Embroidering with Different Types of Embroidery Thread
Some machine embroidery threads are not the easiest to work with, but I’ve tried a lot of them and have some tips for stitching with even the most cantankerous embroidery thread. Learn how to embroider with:
Embroidering on Specific Items
Some items are harder to machine embroider than others. For example, a baby’s onesie has very small openings to the front is difficult to access. Check out these articles where I manage to machine embroider on some very challenging items.
- Baby Onesie
- Christmas stocking
- Pillow case
- Tote bags
- Baseball cap
Digitizing (Creating Embroidery Files)
Mastered this whole embroidery thing and now you are interested in creating your own embroidery files? Well this site is loaded with tips and how-tos for aspiring digitizers.
- What is embroidery digitizing?
- What digitizing software should you buy?
- What is auto digitizing?
- How to become an embroidery digitizer
- How to learn to digitize embroidery designs
- Digitizing tips and tricks
- Sewart vs. SewWhat-Pro embroidery software
- Digitizing Embroidery Designs and Finding Your Niche
- Using SewArt to convert a JPG to an embroidery file
- How to digitize an appliqué design using SewArt
- How to digitize a patch using SewArt and SewWhat-Pro
- How to combine embroidery designs using SewWhat-Pro
- SewWhat-Pro vs. Embrilliance
Helpful machine embroidery hacks and techniques
- How to remove jump stitches
- Removing appliqué fabric using appliqué scissors in an enclosed shape
- How to clean an embroidery hoop. It’s easier to clean than you think.
- 10 Machine Embroidery Mistakes and How to Avoid Them
- Save money on embroidery stabilizer using these tricks
- How to remove embroidery
- 10 appliqué tips for beginners
- How to make a patch on an embroidery machine
- Needles for machine embroidery: what to use when?
- How to do reverse appliqué
- How to center machine embroidery designs on a t-shirt or sweatshirt
- Machine embroidery on foam
- How to keep fabric out of the way when embroidering
- Sticky back stabilizer for machine embroidery
- How to organize thread for sewing and machine embroidery
- 10 hacks for organizing sewing and embroidery supplies
- Common beginner machine embroidery questions and answers
- What is a knockdown stitch?
- How to embroider over a hole
- 10 Genius Machine Embroidery Hacks
- How to appliqué on an embroidery machine
Troubleshooting machine embroidery issues
Stuck? When you run into problems using your embroidery machine, it helps to have access to some machine embroidery tips and how-tos that help you resolve these problems.
- Hoop burn: how to remove it and avoid it
- Embroidery design won’t load on an embroidery machine
- Why is my thread bird nesting underneath the embroidery?
- Embroidery Machine Maintenance Tips
- Why is the thread breaking on an embroidery machine?
- How to fix embroidery mistakes
- Why are my needles breaking on my embroidery machine?
- Why is my bobbin thread showing on top? Tips to keep your machine embroidery stitching looking great.
Project how-tos to make with your sewing and embroidery machine
Want to make some fun projects on your embroidery machine but are not sure how to get started? Check out these project based posts chock full of machine embroidery tips and how-tos. I offer many files and patterns for these projects for FREE in my resource library.
- Machine embroidery jewelry designs that you will actually want to make
- Make a koozie in the hoop on an embroidery machine
- How to make an in-the-hoop face mask
- Personalized ponytail holders to make with an embroidery machine
- Make an Embroidered Headband with Your Embroidery Machine for Next to Nothing!
- How to make a shawl with pompom trim
- How to make in-the-hoop Christmas ornaments with photos
- How to make a personalized photo album with your embroidery machine
- How to make a tooth fairy pillow and personalize it with your embroidery machine
- How to make monogrammed pillow shams with your embroidery machine
- How to make a personalized t-shirt dress using your embroidery machine
- How to monogram a straw hat
- How to make a monogrammed duffel bag
- Make a wine bag with your embroidery machine
- How to make a monogrammed infinity scarf
- How to make in-the-hoop napkin rings
- How to make a sun hat
- How to make an in-the-hoop pouch on your embroidery machine
- How to make inexpensive monogrammed dresses on an embroidery machine
- How to make a monogrammed bow tie
- How to make a pillow case dress